Statement On The Janefield Street Policing


Posted By kevingraham

Posted in Articles, Statement

Representatives of all the main Celtic supporters organisations met tonight with representatives of the club to discuss the events of Sunday.

There was discussions on the kind of information that is needed in terms of working out what happened, why and what needs to be done to stop this from happening again.

All groups were united in calling for a full independent, robust and transparent review where all parties including fans will be heard and the appropriate lessons learned.

It was felt that this was vital to rebuilding confidence among all fans that their safety is paramount on match days. Establishing all facts is the first objective, further meetings will follow to discuss the findings.

Committee of the Affiliation of registered Celtic Supporters Clubs


  1. Robert Doherty
    Posted September 5, 2018 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

    It is important that the occurrence of this crush is not allowed to be kicked into the long grass. In over 20 years of using this entrance to the ground I have never been in such a situation as occurred on Sunday.
    Something was different, what happen could have been much more costly in human life and injury.
    The initial statements from the Police and the Club were appalling in their minimization of the significant danger posed to supporters and undermined confidence in them.
    Modern institutional history tells us that the Police cannot be trusted to investigate their own actions and decision making.
    Thank you to the leadership of our supporters groups for their proportionate and active demand for prevention and accountability.

    • Gordon Gibney
      Posted September 5, 2018 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

      I was in the tunnel with my 17year old daughter on Sunday and I was scared for my daughter and me. Thankfully we got through unscathed but all I can say to Celtic football club and Police Scotland is, learn from this and prevent any reoccurrence.

  2. John McCluskey
    Posted September 5, 2018 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

    Hi. So pleased that the Association is insisting on an independent enquiry. Speaking as a 67 year old season ticket holder who was caught up in this frightening situation and just ten weeks on from major heart surgery, I can tell you that I have never felt so afraid trying to enter any football ground in 60 years of regular attendance.
    The police Scotland statement that the incident happened Around 11 50 and they had it sorted within 5 minutes is absolutely false. I entered the”tunne” at 1130 and realised quickly that I had never seen such congestion with fans in their thousands heading in opposite directions. About 30 to 40 yards in I decided to turn around and head back out. By this time people were panicking, kids screamimg and still the crowds were entering the tunnel in hordes! On my way out I pleaded with fans to about turn and get out as there was in my eyes the appalling possibility of another “Hillsboro “. I do not say that lightly as I really believed that a disaster could happen. On exit from the tunnel, around 1140 I only saw 2 police officers trying to fight a losing battle to control the continued entry of unknowing fans entering and thus worsening an already appalling situation! Meanwhile 2 police off overs on horseback who still had their horses backed up against the cemetery wall, and seemed to me to be quite oblivious to the severity of the scene taking place in the tunnel. I pleaded with them to make the seriousness of what was happening known to senior officers in. At that moment a senior officer arrived and with that sneering attitude which appears to be built into their psyche, asked what my problem was. When I said that as an officer in charge, the events occurring in front of him could result in another Hillsboro, his condescending attitude suddenly changed and he radios for immediate officer support. By this time I decide that in the interest of my own well being to move round to the front of the stadium and was relieved to see maybe 30 to 40 officer running towards Janefield street. I called into the Celtic main office to express my concern and suggest that the kick off be delayed only to be told that it had already kicked off. The police should have demanded a delay in the kick off which might have reduced the number of fans desperate to enter the tunnel and get to their turnstile in time for kick off. This leads me to ask another fundamental question about the location of turnstiles. My seat is bang on the half way line but I have to make my way from the very nearby bus park immediately outside the west stand to the other end of the stadium and then once inside, make my way back to the halfway line to my seat. No doubt the same thing happens for supporters heading to the other end of the ground. Sorry about the length of this message but I feel as someone who was there, and saw at first time the inadequacy of the police response and have been shocked to read in their statements about how effective their well tested response had been! This is utter bollocks as the incident was taking place at least for 20 to 25 minutes before they did anythin
    g about it! I forgot to mention that I also called 999 while in the inil

  3. James carlin
    Posted September 5, 2018 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

    The problem was closing London Road so everyone had no option but to use the tunnel to get to the east & west stands from opposite direction. If was a disgrace & it was the fans themselves who directed each other to turn back. The police on horseback & standing about were useless

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>